Home » Careers
Category Archives: Careers
We’ve always had strong relationships with the people we serve, including teachers, students, parents, tutors, homeschoolers, and other businesses.
For over a decade we have offered a free service that connects students with local tutors, as a way to give more to that community.
The tutoring program is an extension of our core values, which involve participating in things that matter. We believe there’s a lot more to being in the “book business” than providing people with textbooks. Our mission includes knowing what is and is not working for schools and students; it’s about being able to make recommendations, offering a new teaching or learning tool, or participating in educational initiatives.
Students can easily request to connect with a tutor using the form found in the tutoring section of our website.
Tutors are invited to request a meeting with us and have their name placed on the list. When we receive a request from a student that matches a tutor’s credentials, we connect the two parties.
All tutors must have teaching and/or tutoring experience, a degree from an accredited post-secondary institution, and be able to show a recent police report or proof that you are a practicing teacher in an organization. We may also ask that you provide references.
Registered tutors will be eligible for a store discount on their teaching materials.
For more information or to get your name on the tutors list, use this link to email your CV and a brief letter.
We’ve opened a new position for a Communications and Marketing Assistant at Alpha Textbooks!
Are you a creative, tech-savvy and enthusiastic communications practitioner looking to start your career? This might be the right place for you!
Alpha Textbooks is looking for a Communications and Marketing Assistant to join our team for a full-time, temporary position, with the possibility of renewal. The communications assistant will provide support to the communications and marketing department, reporting directly to the Communications Manager.
A qualified candidate will assist with all external public relations, internal communications and marketing functions. Duties include assisting with stakeholder communications, drafting and implementing social media strategies, content writing, outreach coordination, internal relations, event coordination, and more. The assistant will also help draft copy and new promotional materials for upcoming web projects.
More on what you’ll be working on:
- Integrated, promotional, social media and stakeholder communication initiatives.
- Implementing company key messaging, branding and media outreach.
- Coordinating mail outs, ads and related materials.
- Content marketing.
- Working with the communications manager, company directors and communication interns to develop campaigns or strategies.
- Research and situation analysis.
- PR – Community Initiatives, school sponsorships and related.
- Analytics, analytics, analytics. Reading, recording and making sense of our online data.
- Internal relations – company swag, keeping the lines of communication open with staff, getting staff excited about PR initiatives and projects.
- Basic design using Adobe software.
- A certificate or degree in communications, PR, marketing, or a related field.
- Knowledge and practice in strategic planning.
- Excellent and concise copy writing skills.
- Excellent proof reading and editing skills.
- Creative thinking.
- Knowledge of CP style.
- Ability to be well organized.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics and social media analytics tools.
- Expert knowledge of MS Word.
- Working/intermediate knowledge of MS Excel and other MS Office applications.
- Excellent time management.
- Basic knowledge of Adobe creative suite an asset.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Due to the volume of applications received, we can only contact candidates who are selected for an interview.
- This is an entry-level, 3-month contract position, with the possibility of renewal.
- Located minutes away from Downsview Station by bus; ample parking also available.
- Working hours are Monday to Friday, 9 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., additional time as needed.
- All candidates will be expected to show a portfolio.
- No phone calls, please.
Alpha Textbooks Inc. is a Toronto based small business that helps families and schools save on their educational materials. We’ve been in business for over 20 years. We’re known for our great customer service, and our community and environmental initiatives. Alpha Textbooks was the first full-service online bookstore for the independent school community in Ontario. As industry leaders, we pride ourselves on providing quality learning materials and expert advice to students, teachers and homeschoolers across Canada and the world.